Hi, my name is Abby. I am from the Comox Valley, and I am going into my third year of elementary education. In my spare time, I love to bake, ski, snowboard, hike, and swim.

What interests you about open and distributed learning?

Open and distributed learning interests me because it helps make learning more accessible. As a future teacher, inclusion is something that I am very passionate about. I always strive to make everything inclusive for all, and open and distributed learning aligns with this. It allows individuals to participate no matter their location or schedule, like this course for example. I am able to participate even though I am not in Victoria and have a busy schedule.

How do you currently use digital tools to support your learning or professional life in the context of education?

I use a variety of digital tools to support my learning and professional life in the context of education. Firstly, I love watching Crash Course and TED Talks to help break down complex topics. I find they do a great job at explaining difficult concepts using engaging visuals and narrations. As I find them so helpful, I also often squeeze them into my lesson plans for students. Next, I love using Canva to create activity sheets. Using tools such as Canva, allows me to customize my activity sheets to my students needs and interests. I also love using Google Docs and Google Classroom when working on group projects, as this allows everyone to become editors and participate. I find these two platforms especially helpful when doing group projects for online courses, as it can be harder to communicate. Lastly, I love Kahoot! This is a tool I used quite a bit in my first practicum. All of these digital tools helps make learning more engaging, inclusive, and interactive.

What is your understanding of digital literacy and its importance in open and distributed learning settings?

My understanding of digital literacy involves understanding the importance of technology and how to effectively use it, such as for communication, research, and creation. I believe digital literacy is very important in open in distributed learning settings as they are often online. Digital literacy enables learners to communicate via online platforms, whether they are communicating with their teacher or with their classmates when working on and creating group projects. It also enables them to access appropriate online resources, considering their learning style and the credibility of the resource.

Describe any experiences you have with learning in open or distributed contexts. How will you engage with and contribute to this learning approach through the course?

I have taken multiple online classes, which have given me some experience with the principles of open and distributed learning. In these courses, I engaged with students from around the world, navigating challenges like different time zones when working on group projects. This experience has deepened my appreciation for the accessibility and flexibility that open and distributed learning offers. Through this course, I will continue to contribute to group projects and discussions, embracing opportunities to connect with peers from diverse backgrounds to gain deeper knowledge.