Digital Technologies and Identity

Digital Technologies have a big impact on how we see ourselves and our communities in education. Firstly, with digital technologies, individuals are a lot more in control of their outward appearance/identity. They get to choose what content and pictures to share. This comes with benefits, as individuals can choose to show the best side of themselves, but also challenges, as individuals may be presenting themselves in a fake manner. Criminals can easily create profiles using other people’s pictures to lure a certain audience and trick them. However, as all online information can be recorded and shapes an individual’s digital identity, it is important to remain yourself and be kind, as Eliot Wood emphasizes in his TED Talk “Digital Identity: Are you in control?”.

I watched Eliot Wood’s TEDx talk, “Digital Identity: Are you in control?” which emphasizes the importance of controlling personal data in order to maintain an ethical digital identity. It is important to think about your attention and where you spend it, as this shapes your identity.

“You become what you give your attention to”

Epictetus

Digital Technology and Communities

In addition to personal identity, digital technologies also have an impact on communities as technology helps in reducing barriers. Through technology, communities can be more diverse, made up of people of differing locations, backgrounds, financial situations, ages, needs, and more. For example, through this online course, I am able to work with others from different places in different time zones. However, this also comes with some challenges. It can be hard to have meaningful connections with people when not face-to-face. Additionally, it can be hard to keep in touch. My group and I have been having a hard time finding a time that works for all of us to meet.

Digital Platforms in Education

There are so many digital tools and platforms that help with learning. Some of my personal favourites that have helped me achieve my learning goals include Khan Academy, Crash Course, TED-Ed, Canva, and Kahoot. Khan Academy, Crash Course, and TED-Ed are my go-to resources when I need help understanding a certain topic. I find these three resources are all good at breaking down complex topics into a simple way that I can understand. They also all have strong narrations and visuals, especially TED-Ed and Crash Course as these are animation-based. Next, I use Canva to create worksheets and complete my assignments. Lastly, Kahoots are my favourite way to review subjects. They are very engaging and make learning fun!

Photo by Kimberly Farmer on Unsplash

Instructor and Social Presence in Online Learning

Based on the course material, it is important for instructors to be present and social in online classes as they are the ones responsible for establishing and maintaining engagement and social presence, which refers to a student’s ability to share their personality with a community. Both students’ engagement and social presence will have a big impact on them and their learning. Some techniques that instructors can use to increase their social presence include engaging in the course as a participant, facilitator, mentor, and guardian. Having prior experience with online learning as a student can also help instructors better understand and empathize with their students. Giving students the opportunity to collaborate and express themselves will also help to foster social presence among students in the class.

Wood, E. (2022, October 24). Digital Identity: Are you in control? Retrieved July 24, 2024, from www.ted.com website: https://www.ted.com/talks/eliot_wood_digital_identity_are_you_in_control_jan_2022